118 fulfilling and life-changing years
What started out as a safe haven in Langlaagte for children orphaned by the South African war in 1902, has become home to thousands of young children and youth in Johannesburg. Abraham Kriel Bambanani has been in operation for 118 years… a milestone that would not be possible without the support of dedicated donors.
Over the years, we’ve had periods of financial difficulty. The organisation and its name evolved over time from an orphanage to an organisation providing child and youth care and development programmes. But, as we reflect and look back at how far the organisation has come, one thing stands out – the difference YOU have made in the lives of children and youth.
- *Samantha was brought into our care as a young, confused five year old and today she is a 4th year nursing student at North West University. She is currently working at a local hospital and is one of many healthcare workers on the frontline fighting the Covid19 pandemic.
- *Andrea is a young lady from Zola, Soweto and has been a part of our Community Services programme since 2013. Her family has been dependent on support from the programme and social grants. Andrea is determined to change her family’s life hence the dedication to her studies. She is currently studying towards a BCom Law degree at the University of Johannesburg and is acing her modules.
- *Conrad called the Langlaagte Campus home since 2009 and in 2018 was reunited with his biological family. Diagnosed with epilepsy and intellectual impairment, Conrad gave his best and was always willing to help. Due to unforeseen circumstances at home, Conrad will be moved to a home for adults living with intellectual disabilities after the lockdown.
- In 2006, a young girl named *Cathy, from the Emdeni children’s home was placed at the Maria Kloppers Campus in Observatory, where, with the help of dedicated staff, she developed her language skills. This 23 year old girl is now in her final year of studying B.Ed. in Senior Phase and FET Training. During the pandemic she was the one to keep the kids at Maria Kloppers up to date with their school work.
- We’ve known him since he was a 12 year old full of potential. With love, guidance and patience, we were able to tap into *Thato’s potential. Although 2020 has not gone as planned, this young man is determined to end the year with a bang by achieving good Matric results that will allow him to study further. His dream is to study Industrial Psychology and/or Business Management.
These are but five young mouths you’ve fed, clothed, educated, inspired and given a second chance in life. With YOUR help our beneficiaries have access to therapy and counselling sessions that allow them to open up and be free of the disadvantages and hurts that held them back. They have access to schools and educational programmes that cater to their educational development and needs. They have access to healthcare. They have a home; a family and a sense of belonging.
There are thousands of children and youth that walk through our gates burdened and broken by their past or current family situations. But, they leave Abraham Kriel with a suitcase full of love, life and dreams.
Thank you for your continued support over the years. May the next 118 be as fulfilling and life changing.
*Not their real names